Through fundraisers and generous donations, the Alumni Association has, since 1996, awarded more than $90,000 in scholarships and stipends to eligible students. The amount of the scholarships and stipends is dependent upon funds available and the number of eligible applicants.
From the time of its organization, the alumni association has maintained a commitment to continuing education through scholarships and stipends to support our legacies as they pursue post-high school education. Fundraisers, donations pledges and a portion of banquet ticket sales support this project.
2018 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED AS OF APRIL 15TH.
Applicant must be an “active financial member” of the John J. Wright Alumni Association,
or the offspring of an “active financial member” of the Alumni Association (offspring may be a
biological, step, adopted or foster child or a grandchild). The member, upon whom the applicant
is basing his or her eligibility, must be an “active financial” and “current year” member of the
Alumni Association for at least two consecutive years prior to the year of application (2016,
2017 and 2018). Membership dues must be paid by April 15 of the current year.
1. High School applicants must be graduating from an accredited secondary
educational institution. All other applicants must have graduated from an accredited
secondary educational institution.
2. Returning student applicants must be full-time students returning to a technical
school, community college, or four-year college or university.
3. High School applicants and first-time applicants must have applied for admission to at least
one accredited technical school, community college, or four-year college or university.
4. High School applicants and first-time applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or
higher. Returning student applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
5. All high school and first-time applicants must provide two (2) recommendations from
an official of one or more of the following: current school, community organization, church, or
employer. One (1) of the two recommendations must be from a high school teacher if applicant
is in high school.
6. A small high school picture and a brief bio for high school and first-time applicants are
required. The bio can be included on the application form.
7. A personal interview, consisting of an oral presentation of the applicant’s essay and a
question/response period, may be required.
8. A sealed official transcript must be provided to the ScholarshipCommittee with the
9. Applicant must provide proof they are enrolled in school for the fall semester before receipt of
10. Beginning in 2019, returning students applicants must show they participated in at
least one JJWAA event, meeting, or activity during the previous year i.e., April 2018
through April 2019. See the website for opportunities to join the association, engage with
membership, support events, conduct community service, etc.
11. Applicant must agree to return any scholarship award if applicant does not attend an
educational institution or technical school in fall 2018.
The complete application package must be mailed/postmarked to the scholarship committee no
later than April 15, 2018.
JJW Alumni Association, PO Box 1061, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-1061
REPORT OF SCHOLARSHIP AND STIPEND RECIPIENTS 2017
With help of our dedicated members and pledges, 2 scholarships of 1,500 and 3 stipends of
$1,000 were awarded for the 2016 – 2017 school year. The recipients were:
2017 Scholarship Recipients ($1,500)
- Allen Brown – George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- Jasmine Brown – James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
2017 Stipend Recipients ($1,000)
- Ketura Cook – Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Justin Lucas – Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Ayanna Sims – North Carolina A&T University, Greensboro, NC
For information contact:
Scholarship Committee Chair
P.O. Box 1061
Spotsylvania VA 22553-1061
Scholarship Recipient Book
“A Legacy of Excellence”